Odd Assisted Devices - DISHWASHER

Written May, 13, 2013

Posting a positive happy post today. For quite some time I've been trying to convince my bf that we need a dishwasher. As of late the dishes have been piling a lot and finally we agreed upon getting one. The problem is, that I can not stand still and wash dishes. It turns out even sitting and washing them doesn't work too well for me either as, I start to get nauseous from twisting, I guess?? I dunno. My body is weird. All action seems exhausting. 

After what seems like forever (probably a week plus) of perusing Kijiji, I finally found a portable dishwasher (we rent) that wasn't $400. SUCCESS. Rose the deal finder did it again. Even though it was far away, it was well worth it and much less expensive. YAY.

Danby Portable Dishwasher. YES!

So, the other week my bf and I took a trip all the way to St. Catharine's after he finished work to pick up a portable dishwasher. It was the longest day of my life, it seems, waiting for him to finish work, so that we could head straight from his work to pick up my find.


Wine country near St. Catherine's.




Niagara on the Lake


Sunset at Niagara on the Lake


I've never been a fan of washing dishes but I have been doing them all my life. Every time I've ever had a dishwasher it has literally been momentarily. Both times, they broke, one at a place I was only living at temporarily with school and one before I moved out of my mother's new townhouse. 

It was a 1.5 hour hike to St.Catharine's and we had to stop and check out a car before hand and we picked up a sweet van console at a cute farm house, where their kids showed us their new pheasants and chicks. So cute. Afterwords we also had an amazing dinner in Niagara-on-the-lake where we had one of those lovely talks that you will just never forget about. We've been going through a lot and it was great to be able to talk. Not to mention I had a sweet Ice Wine Martini.


Ice Wine Martini deliciousness
Heavenly dinner





















Coming home at 11:30pm. I tried to figure out how to work the dishwasher but quickly gave up and crashed as the attachment didn't work. I thought this might all be for naught. I just couldn't figure it out.  :(

The next day, I went to work. I don't know how I lived without GOOGLE in my life. "What adapter do I need for a portable Danby dishwasher?" "How do I attach a portable Danby dishwasher to the sink?" "How do I remove the aerator on the sink?" ... Turns out I was doing everything right from the beginning, it's just that our aerator was stuck. Turns out our spouts were full of calcium shales. Fun. I checked the bathroom sink as it hadn't been flowing very well either. It was also completely clogged. So I turned into the lady plumber. Fixed all the sinks and hooked everything up.

Calcium shales clogging bathroom sink.

Some of the shales found in the two sinks.

Clogged aerator



That evening the dishwasher turned into more of a debacle. After trying I don't know how many places, at least 4, to find dishwasher salt, I finally caved and literally bought one of every type of salt I could find, I think 6 types managed to make it's way into my cart. Going back to my friend GOOGLE only one type of salt suited perfectly and apparently the other one is usable. The rest were relegated to the baking cupboard.

So the day after I was prepared to put his puppy to work. I turned it on and realized an hour later that I didn't also turn on the tap. I'm a smart cookie. It took 3 hours the first time on the long setting but it worked!

In the end while unloading the first load from the dishwasher. I actually cried a tear or two from happiness. I know that sounds absolutely ridiculous but I did. Little things in life can mean so much. I haven't even thought twice about the $100 for the dishwasher. It is price-less. I am and was so utterly happy to have a dishwasher.

I can do the dishes again to some extent and can give my bf a break. I have regained some independence. A dishwasher, really, truly makes me happier.


Update - May 22, 2013
The dishwasher is now broken. It was working well but something came off of the connection and now it won't run. Hopefully we can fix it somehow soon and not have to fork out money for a new connection
Our dishwasher, ready to go but not working.   :(
.

Comments

Popular Posts